Re: shrimp varieties

>Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:45:19 +0000
>From: Albert Hill <mog357 at crisscross_com>
>Subject: Shrimp varieties

>Hello: Has anyone tried to setup a tank with more than one variety of
>shrimp. They
>are small and I'd like to setup a smll 3-5 gal. tank with a couple of
>types for the kids
>to watch. Is this possible or do they fight and big ones eat small ones?
>All help appreciated.
>Al

I kept serveral shrimps (filter shrimps and Macrobrachium rosenbergii)
and they don't bother each other, as long as the tank is big enough
(I used 41 gallon). I wouldn't recommend keeping more than 2 shrimps of
any kind in a 5 gallon tank, they grow slowly but can get quite big.
A 10 gallon tank with wood and rocks would good to keep 4-5 shrimp.

Best regards,

Hugo Hoekstra