Re: a few questions

Josh,  You have strong light and CO2, and you are adding iron and
trace elements.  Perhaps your plants have used up the
macronutrients (potassium, nitrate) that were available in the tank.
You may need to start dosing with PMDD.  The Apons are drawing
from stored energy in the bulb, so are growing fine.  The swords
have a strong root system and may be able to find a little
nourishment in the substrate (do you have laterite?), but the java
moss depends entirely on the water column for nutrients and it isn't
finding what it needs.

As for the yellow water, do you have peat or driftwood in your
system that may be leaching tannins?

Cathy Hartland
in Maryland where spring and winter have been alternating each day

Josh wrote:

When I first set up my 30 gal. planted tank about two months ago
with DIY CO2, my plants would constantly bubble, and growth was
quite fast.  However with in the last two weeks all bubbling has
stopped except for tiny bubbles appearing on leaves but not the
steady stream as before.  Also I've noticed much slower growth in
the swords, good growth in the Aponogeton crispus, and little to no
growth in the java moss.   The only changes I've made within the
past two weeks are:  4 new GE Chroma 50 36" 30 watt tubes-
instead of the 2 Philips alto collection tubes and 2 actinic blue
bulbs- ,  and a little faster CO2 bubble rate-I added another 2 liter
bottle.  I feterlize with Flourish 2 drops daily, and Flourish iron .5 ml
after 5 gal. weekly water changes.  I use a Penguin 300 filter with
the filter bags only, no carbon.  Temp. about 76-78 F.  and 7.0-7.2
PH.  I have no other test kits at the moment.

Also when I change water, the water seems to have a 'yellowish'
hue to it.  Is this normal?