RE: Texas native plants

> I am wondering you people could help me with the information on what
> kind of wild-growing aquatic plants you can find in Texas.
>
> So far I have found riccia, ludvigia palustris (?), azolla, water
> hyacynth, echinodorus cordifolius, 2 other echinodorus
> species (bartheri
> maybe?), sagittaria platyphylla (?), hornwort, and a couple of other
> plants the names for which I don't know... Are there any
> other aquarium
> plants to collect in TX and if you found them, then where???  Also are
> there any good books to identify the american native water flora??

The definitive works for the SE US (and TX) are:

Godfrey, R.K., J.W. Wooten. 1981. Aquatic and Wetland Plants of
Southeastern United States. Dicotyledons. 933 pp.  University of Georgia

Press, Athens.Godfrey, R.K., J.W. Wooten. 1979. Aquatic and Wetland
Plants of
Southeastern United States. Monocotyledons. 712 pp. University of
Georgia Press, Athens.

If you opt not to peruse all 1,645 pages of these tomes, then a partial
list of common aquarium plants native to TX would be:
Sagittaria platyphylla
Sagittaria subulata
Vallisneria americana
Cabomba aquatica
Bacopa caroliniana
Ludwigia sp.
Ceratophyllum demersum
Fontinalis sp.
Echinodorus cordifolia
Echinodorus tenellus
Didiplis diandra
Eleocharis sp.
Isoetes sp.
Nymphoides aquatica
Hydrocotyle sp.
Lemna sp.

This is not a complete list, and I am sure I have omitted someone's
favorite plant.  The clear Hill Country streams and rivers (especially
the San Marcos river) are excellent locations for aquatic plant
locations.

Regards,

Mark