Re: Marsilea -Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #904

>Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 12:45:01 -0500
>From: "Alysoun McLaughlin" <alysoun.mclaughlin at ncsl_org>
>Subject: Re: Four Leafed Clover
>

>However, I talked with a friend who kept the plant (or perhaps a related
>sp.?) and she said "yeah, it did that in my tank... and slowly four leaves
>gave way to three leaves, then two leaves, then one leaf, and then I threw
>it away."  Anyone seen this in action, who might have suggestions on why
>this happened for her, or whether the shape of my new growth is typical?
>

>I have had great success growing Marsilea crenata in my 100 gallon show
>tank as carpeting foreground plant, for over a year with little effort.
>It is described by many suppliers as a bog plant, but is listed in the
>'Aquarium Plants Manual", by Ines Scheurmann as an aquatic. It is much
>more commonly found as an outdoor pond plant.

We have 4 native species of Marsilea often available here from pond plant
suppliers - the description above seems to me to best fit the submerse
foliage for M. angustifolia. This species is commonly featured as
"groundcover" in  Mr. Amano's aquascapes as distinct from Glossostigma
elatinoides. The emerse plant has appreciably narrower leaves than the
others and is a much smaller plant all round.

Regards,
Bruce.

Bruce Hansen, A.N.G.F.A., Advancing Australian Aquatics.