Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #901

At 03:48 AM 3/12/99 -0500 Lance asked:
> exactly what chemical I should use to do different things to the water.
>  (Make it harder, raise the KH (buffer)without raising the GH etc)

Lance, the most effective chemical in water chemistry is pocket lint.   The
way it is used is you stick your hands way down to the bottom of your
pockets and you leave them there.

Seriously, more harm that good is done by monkeying with water.   To be
effective, the first thing is to learn why each measure is important and
what it means if it is too high or too low.   The second thing is to
measure your water so that you know where it is perfect, where it is OK,
and where it desperately needs help.  Only then do you need info on what to
throw in.

It sounds like you are back at the beginning of stage one.  I suggest you
get a good book on aquarium chemistry and read it.   That would be a start.
  Or plant nutrition.   Good luck and let us know how you are coming along.

--
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron