lighting small tanks, watts per gallon rule?

Hi all,
I have a 30 litre = 8 gallon tank, dimensions 46x25x30cm. The tank
currently houses a breeding pair of blue Rams. I would like to turn this
into a 'plant' tank. The tank is currently lit with a 2 foot 6500k fluro
tube. This is aproximately 2 watts per gallon. Due to the tanks small
volume surely it needs more light? lets say 2 tubes? this would give about4
watts per gallon which in this case would not be a very bright tank. Maybe
I should stick with 1 tube and grow low light plants. Any ideas much
appreciated.

Is there a watts per gallon rule for small tanks, To achive the moderate
lighting ie. 2 watts per gallon on a 55 gallon, in a small tank, what is
the rule?

Daniel Green
bevgreen at cygnus_uwa.edu.au