Re: Substrate depth

Andy Moore asks:

"Could someone kindly tell me the amount of gravel I would need for a planted
50 Gallon 2 ft cube tank ? I understand I will need around 3-4 inch depth."

According to the Aquatic Concepts website (
www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts ),
they recommend using the following formula to calculate quantity of substrate
material needed.
Multiply length (in inches) times width (in inches) times 3.5 (inches of
gravel) then dividing this figure by 19 (cu.in.per lb. of gravel).  The
substrate material they used to get the 19 cu.in.per lb. is Tex Blast. This is
1/32 to 3/32 quartz sandblasting material. To figure actual aquarium water
capacity after substrate is added, 50 lbs. of gravel displaces 2.4 gallons of
water.
If you are using Laterite, they recommend 250 grams to each 25 gallons of
water capacity mixed in with the bottom 1/3rd of the substrate material.
BTW, I have no ties to this website but found it contained detailed
information. ( At least I hope the detailed info is accurate )

Tom Bates
Allentown, PA  -  Where the cold winds from Canada are blowing