Re: All my snails died... ??? and Peat pads

>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:09:24 -0500
>From: "James Purchase" <jpurch at interlog_com>
>Subject: RE: All my snails died... ???
>
>The snails need a certain level of Calcium in order to build their
>shells and without adding CaCO3 to your water you might even see the shells
>of snails actually erode in the tank. Calcium Carbonate is available from
>any pharmacy (look in the section carrying nutritional supplements). I crush
>a tablet using a mortar and pestle and then add it to the aquarium to keep
>my Calcium levels up.

James,

Wouldn't baking soda be okay for this purpose also?  You don't have to
crush it.

>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:59:05 -0600
>From: "Bill Hamlin" <wjhamlin at hydro_mb.ca>
>Subject: Sand, snails, calcium and CO2
>
>I have read the comment, "test the sand by dropping it in vinegar", many
>times in many locations.  Wouldn't this just indicate the presence of
>limestone?  And if so, with so many people adding calcium supplements,
>would this not be one way of achieving this?  The "test" and the
>comments that surround it, seem to be a blanket prohibition on 'fizzy'
>sand.

Yes, but I think some people would rather start out with a "neutral"
substrate, then add things to achieve the hardness and Calcium level they
desire, instead of having to fight the hardness caused by the substrate,
which is usually more difficult because there is so much of it.

>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:37:06 -0800
>From: "alex pastor" <alexp at idirect_com>
>Subject: Re: peat pads
>
>I've checked the archive and could not find any references to this exact
>item.  I have seen peat pads for sale in the lfs.  I asked about them and
>was told that they can be used under the substrate in a planted aquarium.
>Does anyone use them?  And what good are they?

They provide one way of introducing peat to your aquarium for controlling
the hardness, and also provide anchoring sites for plants.  I have used
them and didn't like them because the plant roots anchor firmly in the pads
and when you have to move or pull up your plants, they also come up.

Hoa

Aquarium: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/