Re: Crypt Meltdown

> Anyway... by the time the water change
> came about last weekend, the majority of the crypts melted away, just a
> bunch of crappy looking slime that sorta looked like leaves.

> crypt forest I noticed a little meltdown and pin holes that had developed
> all over the leaves.  This was negligible since as soon as I started with
> again with my regular water changes, the crypts recovered... without totally
> melting down.

I have had a similar problem with my green wendti crypts.  I had them in a 20 high with 4w/gallon.  I moved to another house that is now on well water.  They started melting.  Maybe it was the change in water conditions...  I didn't quite know why (I
didn't have any of the test kits).  I kept up water changes and everything else as normal except I used the different water.  The only thing is that they didn't stop melting, they kept melting for about 4 weeks (albeit slowly melting)

I then moved them over to a new set-up 55 gallon with 3w/gall and they kept melting.   About on plant in each bunch (3-6 leaves per bunch) would melt.  Then another one would go.  It was generally the old ones.  At first I felt like it was mainly the
shock of a move (different water, different light, different fish load).  Then I started noticing that my snails were disappearing.  I wasn't seeing them as much and I was seeing fewer of them.  The only thing that was added was a few kribs (3).  They
don't eat snails, what was the problem?

Well, I decided to add a vitamin block.  One that would mainly increase the KH of my tank.  When I got the block I also got nitrate, phosphate and KH test kits.  The KH in my big tank was something like 1-2 dH!!  With the block now almost fully dissolved
(it has taken about 1 1/2 weeks) the crypts are no longer melting and they are beginning to put out new leaves as well as runners.

The conclusion.  I think that the crypt melt is based on shock (moving from one tank to another) AND the lack of calcium carbonate in the water.  Short term melting is from the shock of a move and long term is more from a lack of the calcium.  At least
these are my observations.  Comments?

Chris
In NC, on Spring Break and it's 30 F outside.  Still with no snow.