Aquatic plant virus.

Chris asked about virus:I raise ordhids too and it is a common problem
to get a plant with a
virus.  The virus effects how the plant grows and can stunt and twist
the plant or flowers.  This is a contageous problem with bulb growers
too and is transfered by cutting plants with the same knife.

	I don't believe there is a plant on this planet that is immune
	to virus!  This includes aquatic plants. The 'variegated' forms
	Echinodorus, I believe, are virused. The virility of these
	viruses are not in my realm of experience. 'Orchid' viruses
	are and now that I have combined aquatic plants into my
	'hobbies', I am concerned about contamination.

	Generally, viruses are transmitted by pour hygiene. One
	exception, that I know of, are aphids(green fly)and, possibly,
	thrips. Otherwise it's dirty tools, dirty hands( most tomatoe
	plants are infected with Tobacco mosaic virus(TMV)from smokers)
	who work in propagation.

	I don't know what ramifications this has on our aquatic plant
	hobby but it is worth some attention.

	I have a large, shallow, tank that I grow Salvinia auriculata,
	Salmolus parviflorus(emersed), Azolla carolininia,Limnophila
	aquatica and Serracenea species that have been 'attacked' by
	by aphids. My solution is California newts that 'graze' the
	surface and eat the aphids. If this method hadn't worked I
	would have trashed the tank and started over!

	I once gave a lecture on repotting orchids, which I always
	begin with sterile procedures and was confronted by a lady
	who kept shacking her her head 'no'! When I asked her why?
	she said she wasn't concerned because she 'allways made the
	cuts really fast'!!!!!!!!

	Just something to think about.

	Michael
--