Re: Reflectors

>BTW, I can't believe that white paint wouldn't be just as good as aluminum.
>Who out there knows the answer to that.
>Olga

Hi Olga,

This exact same topic was discussed on one of my reef aquarium list a
couple months back.  One person, Dana Riddle (www.aquaticwildlife.com), has
done many lighting studies on many types of light (MH, VHO and PC).  He
found that a white surface did indeed reflect as well as the metal
reflectors.  The only problem was that after sometime, 'painted' white
reflectors turned yellowish and were less affective.  Someone on that list
is starting to use white rain gutters as a reflector and he will report to
the list if the white 'powder' coated metal 'yellows' over time.

Sincerely,
Victor Eng					Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
engfam at axionet_com