Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #881

Hallie,
     In my limited experience, it seems that we would need to know more
about your setup - such as how much lighting and maybe water conditions,
fertilizers. Also, Mollys do much better with some salt in the water,
whereas planrs don't do well with any salt(maybe some exceptions) - I've
known several people who have successfully kept many kinds of fish, but had
Mollys die in freshwater, usually within a few weeks. I have a 40 gal.
which doesn't have many plants in it right now b/c I'm trying to get an
algae problem under control. When I increased the lighting from 40W to 90W
and still only had the 4 ottos and small pl*co, spot algae(green crap all
over the inside of the glass) took over. I just thought I'd let you know so
you don't suffer the same fate. You sound like you know what you're doing
though - with the right number of plants, the algae should not be able to
get a foothold. Back to your algae eaters - that's probably enough if you
keep real close tabs and increase the number of algae eaters or duration of
light if anything funny happens. Good luck.
Ryan