Re: Substrates (Turface/Profile)

Dave, thanks for the reply; I should have asked you on-list to begin with,
but since I was already writing you, I figured I'd limit myself to pestering
you in one place at a time. :-)

So on your pots, are you then placing them in/on a plain gravel substrate,
or are you using Turface as a substrate as well?  One thing I'll say about
Turface as a substrate -- I understand why you've been looking for plant
weights :-)

I think you're right on the issue of it being relatively nutrient free
(although high CEC), and I'm just not putting in enough nutrients yet.  I've
just recently started using PMDD on another tank that has a rich substrate
but is nitrate-limited, and I've been stunned by the increased growth rate,
even though I've still not gotten it tuned to provide enough nitrate.  As
soon as I get my formula down for this one, I'll start trying to find a
mixture and dosage for the Turface tank. This should allow me enough time to
add some laterite and re-work the CO2 before I start as well; I'm hoping
that the laterite will help establish some iron availability within the
substrate itself, and not just be too much of a good thing...

- Chuck Lawson
  Dallas, TX (more or less :-)