Banana Plants/ lily bulbs

i have only had luck with the banana plant in my 55-gallon tank, the substrate
of which has been treated with tetra initial clay product (can't remember the
name).  in a 10-gallon with less light and pure gravel, it has not done well
for me.

i have recently received several different nymphaea (water lily) bulbs from
different people.  i think part of the problem in talking about these lily
bulbs is that there are so many different species and cultivars and we refer
to them all as just "lily bulbs."  some did not do well for me but one is
threatening ot take over the tank and i need to move it ot another tank before
it gets too dark in there...

tsuh yang chen, nyc