Re: red lotus bulbs

Good, I'm not the only one.  I bought four lotus bulbs recently.  They are
slowly putting out lanceolate leaves.  I have the bulb bums barely submerged
in substrate.
I've seen magnificent specimens of these in display tanks at the lfs.  But
historically I have had zero success.

Now, I have lots and lots of light, soft water, neutral pH, the whole nine
yards.

How long do these plants take to grow?  (without CO2 injection.  Other
plants growing well)

Next query:
According to Rataj, "banana" plants grow in aquaria and the leaves can reach
the surface.  But Baensch says they don't last long.  Which is it?  I bought
one as a trial plant.