Re: Deformed Echinodorus bleheri?

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Andy Dilbert wrote:

> I recently bought some "Amazon Sword Plants - Medium sized" from Aquarium
> Driftwood.  They have very long stems, approximately 30 cm. long, and leaves
> that are only about 10 cm long.  Are these normal Amazons (Echinodorus
> bleheri) that were just grown in ill-lit tanks, or are these another
> species?  I wish my plants had longer leaves and shorter stems, like the
> Amazon's in the following pictures.  Can I make my plants change?

Why yes!  The magic ingredient is... water.  Most amazon swords are grown
emersed, out of water, and as such have the leaves you see.  It's easier
for the growers, and the plants are more easily transported to the
wholesalers and dealers.  Once kept underwater in the aquarium, they will
begin reverting to the submersed leaves you want.

    - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com