Re: Fluval filters

I have a 403. a 203 and a 103.  The big one is a b*&*!!! to service.  I keep
it under the tank in a rectangular black plastic office-type waste paper
basket.  When I need to clean it (grumble, grumble), I unhook the hoses and
carry the entire thing to the bathroom.  Yeah!  You just gotta love the &^*%
O-ring!  But at least with this method I keep the mess down somewhat.  After
doing whatever needs doing, I put it back together without water in it, and
reattach it to the hoses at the tank.
I've tried to fill with water first, then attach the hoses and prime it.
But leaving it empty and then filling it from the tank makes getting the
bubbles out easier. (Shake it, shake it, shake it)

Now for the 203 and 103 - they are absolutely charming by comparison.  The
O-rings fit easier.
In retrospect, I should have put 3 203 filters on the big tank instead of
the one 403 and one 203. Live and learn.
(sigh)  I didn't have internet at the time....

If I ever set up another large aquarium I will use several smaller filters
instead of a big one.  This way they can be cleaned in very short periods of
time and the biological aspect of the filtration system will not be
disrupted.  (Although since I don't put in new sponges or ceramic noodles, I
don't think the 403 suffers.)

BTW the absolutely best filters I own are tiny Rena canisters with only
sponges in them.  They are incredibly good at taking up all kinds of gunk.
I picked up a whole bunch of them about a year ago for $10 Canadian each.
Only problem is that they have very short electrical cords which is why the
US regulations did not pass them (I think).

G. Kadar