Biospheres

>I'm new to the list and this is my first post.  Although I
>hope to have "real" planted aquarium in the future,
>circumstances prevent me from doing it now.  With this in
>mind, are any of you familiar with the items described in
>subject. I have seen different brands in several catalogs.
>They come in different sizes, often spheres.  Some have tiny
>red Hawaiian shrimp or other "wildlife", thay have green
>algae or a plant, sand, shells, sticks, etc.  They are a
>closed system, self supporting, needing only light.  I would
>be particularly interested in hearing comments, pro or con,
>from anyone who has actually owned one vs. theoretical
>comments.  Brand names would be useful.  I'm not expecting
>it to last forever, but the idea seems neat.  However, they
>are not cheap and I would like to know beforehand if they
>are as they are advertised.  If you don't know but have
>ideas for other sources of info on or off the net I would be
>interested in hearing that also.  Finally, how in the world
>do these things get shipped without sloshing the contents to
>kingdom come?

Dave Holtzman, a VP at the InterNIC has one on his desk. He's
had it about 4 years or so. They're really quite cool.

A "friend" of his pointed a laser pointer at on of the little
shrimpy guys once... killed it. The rest are ok.

So what if they get sloshed around, it doesn't seem to bother
them.

--
Richard J. Sexton                                         richard at aquaria_net
Maitland House, Bannockburn, Ontario, Canada, K0K 1Y0       +1 (613) 473 1719