Substrate

You know I am new here and I have been reading about the Importance you
have put on substrate.  I know that it is important but I have used it
in other ways.  Anyways.  I have done some research and discovered that
you should have some organic material imbedded in the substrate.  I was
thinking about Spagnum Peat Moss.  I know that it is going to leech
tanic acids but that is ok in my tank I can control that.  Does anyone
have suggestions as to how I should do this.  Or has anyone done this
and how did it come out?  If any one has any theories, or conjecture or
fact please write.  Thanks