Re: ALternate to heating cables

Jason writes:

> If you want substrate heating and don't want a UGF or to pay an arm
>  and a leg for Dupla, I recommend trying those reptile heaters, the work
>  pretty good.

These pads do not establish the type of convection currents which
"Dupla/Boothist" tanks require.  Thermal differences within the substrate
itself are needed in order for the warmed water to rise and the cooler water
to flow sideways, with more water from the column dropping down to "fill the
void".  If you want effective substrate heating, the reptile underttank
heaters ould only work if they came in strips and were laid out with gaps
between them.

Actually, not a bad concept, but I don't think they are available in 1/2 inch
wide strips.