rough algae

Now that my hair algae has disappeared I am getting some stuff growing on
top of the substrate and on low-lying plants that is green but has the
texture of very fine steel wool.  It grows slowly and is not taking over the
world.
Does anyone know the identity of this scourge and what stimulates it's
growth?  I would like to get rid of it.  For sure none of the fish eat it.
Sometimes I wonder why I don't just culture all the different algaes known
to H. sapiens and forget about higher plants.  But then I bet the algae
won't grow! (figures)

G. Kadar