Re: Echinodorus offsets

>>these very same leaves all floating at the surface, they had rotted off
>>at the bottom, now this is unusual.  When I pruned away the surrounding
>>plants so I could get a good look at what was going on, to my surprise I
>>found several plantlets growing attached to the base of the original
>>plant, just as they normally do on the flower stalk.  Has anyone
>>observed this behavior, or have an idea as to what may cause this to
>>occur?
>
>It's actually pretty common with non-chaining Echinodorus.  If they are
>growing well, in a substrate that supports their nutritional needs, it's
>not at all unusual for them to begin to produce a second (or more) "crown".
> My old Rubin needs to be divided at least a couple of times a year, as
>well as producing flower spikes with plantlets.
>
>Karen

There's another way to 'encourage' them to grow plantlets;  <g>

I posted a few weeks ago about a sword that I'd prematurely divided.  Ripped
it right in half; one part got all the roots, the other just got a chunk of
the crown.

The part without roots did just great.  It's happily sent off new roots, and
is sending up new leaves like crazy.

The other chunk, however, seemed to just deteriorate.  The leaves got
yellow; it didn't seem to be sending off any new leaves; finally, I pulled
it up from the back of the tank to look at it.  It had seven new plantlets
at the root!

I stuck them all in a newly set up planted tank, and in a week, they've
doubled in size (from about 3 inches tall, to 6 inches or so).  Thank
goodness the PVAS auction is next week... !

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, MD
alysoun at planetall_com (home)
alysoun.mclaughlin at ncsl_org (work)