Re: Heating cables.

In a message dated 2/9/99 6:34:54 AM Mountain Standard Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

> I would be able
>  to place one of these cables in one half of each of my study tanks. I could
>  use a plexiglass divider to keep the unheated substrate isolated from the
>  half which receives heat.
>
>  Now, Neil and Karen seem to be of the opinion that if substrate heat is
>  useful at all it is only useful in the long term (+ 1 year), while George
B.
>  seems to feel that they are necessary for a true "Dupla style tank".
>
>  Anyone care to comment on my thinking of comparing how substrate heat might
>  affect the growth of plants in several different types of substrates?

Sounds like splitting the tank substrate would finally put some validity
behind the opinions one way or the other.  It kind of means setting up the
same species on both sides of each tank so you can keep the results reasonably
valid.

Bob Dixon