Substrate desiderata

At 03:48 AM 2/9/99 -0500, James Purchase wrote:
> a good substrate or
>substrate doesn't _have_ to be laterite in order to work well

This brings up the question of what a substrate SHOULD do.  Dupla laterite
has two important properties (as I read the story):  some abilty to release
iron and a relatively high CEC.  It also tends to cloud the water less than
some other clays.   Does it have any OTHER important properties?   Are
there any other properties we want a substrate to have?

--
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron