laterite.....Substrate Gold

James Purchase wrote:  (edited somewhat)

> The Substrate Gold you have in your
> aquarium should work just as well as "genuine" Dupla laterite. It is
> probably not the exact same mineral (as Roger Miller pointed out) but it
> will be close enough for our purposes. As far as the importation of "nasty
> tropical bugs", the US Dept. of Agriculture is very strict about that sort
> of thing - soil is _not_ allowed to cross the U.S. border.  Dupla was required to
> prove to the Department of Agriculture's satisfaction that Duplarit G was
> free from any nematodes or other soil borne pests before it was allowed into
> the country. I believe that at least one shipment was held at the border for
> that reason.
>
> Mr. Schoeler doesn't have that same constraint, so his product can be
> cheaper (read as less expensive).

James,I'm not really replying directly to you so much as to several questions
that have been posted on the APD lately.  However, your post does
provide the proper forum, so thank you!

Some of this information is available on my website, some is not.8-)
Substrate Gold has been certified by the University of Minnesota Plant Disease
Clinic to be free of nematodes.  I was not required by any agency to have this
test performed, but I thought it made sense.  The test is the same, whether for
the USDA, or idle curiosity.  The cost is the same also.8-)  Since it has been some
time, my best recollection is that the test was about $25.00.  I thought it was
very cheap, and a good investment.

Regards,

Karl

> Roxanne wrote:
> >>Once youhave an established tank, the balls are very handy to
> push into the substrate every 3-6 months.  <<
>
> Can't you make your own balls with laterite by wetting and baking it?
>
> Ask George about _his_ balls (hopefully, good taste will prevent a
> predictable response like "Pushing them into the substrate is too painful"

Roxanne:

Substrate Gold, which is improved laterite, also is available in this form.
We prefer to call them Nuggets,  thus reducing predictable responses.8-)
We don't advertise them but they sell anyway.  It is much cheaper to make
your own and the instructions on each package of Substrate Gold also
outlines how to make Substrate Gold Laterite Nuggets.

Regards,

Karl