Sv: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #821

This I consider one of the more wise approaches in fighting BG algae,
G-algae supposed to be a sign of the highest possible state of oxidation
 electro-chemical), this meaning very "pure" water, while BG´s considered a
sign of a lower state of oxidation.
BG´s being a pest, and it seems to me, with my short experience at the list
and at the NG´s, mostly to those using "substrates" and different
"additives" :-).
While not wanting to restart a discussion of the sense in using broad
spectrum antobiotics in fighting BG´s,  the use has made me wonder since
other methods without any use of potential harmfull chemicals are available
and well known.
Hückstedt advocates 1 cmm 15 % H2O2 per 20 L of water (and considers twice
the amount not harmfull)
when fast-checking for ammonia - or CO2 poisoning or for lack of O2. At the
Max-Planck institute he made a lot of interesting research on the the issue
of reduction/oxidation and the effect on algae and on the toxitivity
of many of the usual contents common in FW and SW tanks.

Louis, I consider this interesting. Will you please inform me of the
concentration of H2O2 and when further results,
Thanks
Ole

>Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 16:57:11 -0500
>From: Louis Lin <lhclin at aw_sgi.com>
>Subject: Hydrogen Peroxide vs. cynobacteria (long)
>
>Recently I've been experiementing with hydrogen peroxide as
>a non-antibiotic treatment for cynobacteria.  I've been looking
>through the Krib and the APD archives.  From the past discussions
>(started by August Eppler), the use of hydrogen peroxide to
>combat cynobacteria seems very experimental.  So I hope my
>anecdotal experience can be helpful to others.
So I decided to give hydrogen peroxide a try.