RE: Hydrogen Peroxide

> - - Hydrogen peroxide is an effective treatment for cynobacteria
>    with little affect on plants.
>
> - - As for the amount used, 4 oz per 35 gallon (minus substrate)
>    spot treatment is already effective.  That's roughly 2 oz per
>   15 gallon.
>
> - - There doesn't seem to be an effective and safe dosage level
>    for snails and shrimps, and possiblely for fish.

My "Introduction to Fish Health Management" (US Fish & Wildlife Service,
2nd ed., 1995) recommends the use of hydrogen peroxide "at 250-500 ppm
(100% active ingredient) for 15 minutes as an effective fungicide for
incubating eggs and 250-500 ppm (30-60 minutes) for treating fish with
external parasites" (page 108).

I interpret this as meaning one probably shouldn't expose fish to more
than 250 ppm for time periods over one hour.  Note that H2O2 is
typically sold in pharmacies as (I think) a 2% solution or so.  Assuming
the density of a 2% solution of H2O2 is 1 g/ml, then one ml would
contain 20 mg of H2O2, or 20,000 ppm.  Using 4 oz per 35 gallons would
result in about 140 ppm H2O2, which might be pushing the "upper end" for
long-term exposure.  I certainly wouldn't go any higher.

Regards,

Mark