Re: Water Lettuce

Gerry Skau asked about water lettuce and water hyacinth.

>LOTS of light, I think. I don't think water hyacinth or watter lettuce
>will grow without actual sunlight.

A neighbour used to grow very beautiful water lettuce in a 65 gallon
tank with two 40 watt daylight lamps, some water movement and a glass
top which covered about 80% of the surface. Even with two or three
times the light, my own efforts have been less fruitful. It needs the
humidity, but seems to also like some air circulation. If the air at
the water surface gets too hot or too dry it seems to suffer. Without
a glass cover it grows very small. Humidity is a necessary condition.

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca