Ferric Chloride for Phosphate Control?

     I read a post from someone on the list about using Ferric Chloride
(FeCl3) to lower
the phosphate levels in his tank.  It was an article from the Aquatic Gardener
(v. 7 n.1)
Could somone elaborate on this?  Ferric Chloride is a very strong acid.  I
have used it
in the past to etch circuit boards. (It is used to "eat" the copper)  What
chemical reaction is responsible for this?
What are the drawbacks of using this? (Other than ph)
If it can be used as part of a phosphate-reducing regimen, then I would need
to know
dosing levels.

Thanks,
Andrew