Re: Rootbound Crypts

Thank you Karen, you  said:

> In my experience, when Crypts, in spite of a large root mass are not
> putting out lots of good sized, good color leaves, there is a nutrient
> deficiency involved.  In my tanks, it is almost invariably a sign of
> nitrogen deficiency, BUT, I suspect that you would see a similar response
> to a number of deficiencies.  I'd check the nitrate level in the tank, and
> make sure I was dosing adequately with a balanced trace element mixture.
> Check also to make sure the water is not too soft.  Most commercially grown
> Crypt species require at least some calcium in the water.

Unflrtunately I have no source for a nitrate test kit, but the tanks are heavily
populated and I presume that there would be no deficiency. Trace mix is
added every week with a partial water change. Water is KH8 and evaporation
is replaced with distilled water. The tanks receive direct sunlight for a few hours
and show a thin film of green algae on the glass after a week.

> If the plants are adequately supplied nutritionally, my next step would
> depend on the species.  With C. wendtii, I'd show no mercy.<g>  I'd pull up
> the entire stand, divide it, and replant the strongest, most vigorous
> sections.  Wendtii can take it.   With some of the more delicate species
> you have to be more careful.  What species are we talking about here?

One tank is taken over by C wendtii, it has buldozed other crypt stands.
The second has a crypt that physically looks like C. bekettii (in Tropica's
page) but is browinsh red, used to have foot long leaves. These have thinner
roots than C wendtii and grow *very fast*.

--
Raj
in Bangalore, South India