Re: dolomite reactors.

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Bob Dixon wrote:

[responding to Dave Gomberg]

> Another challenge for the dolomite reactor.  I am expecting to regulate it at
> 12-14 psi.  I'm not sure how thick the lexan will have to be to take this, but
> I think the local supplier can probably provide me with engineering data.

If I envision your system right, then this will be callenging.  If the
reactor is at 12-14 psi then the HCl entering the reaction will have to be
at 12-14 psi.  If you use a gravity feed and 10% HCl (1.05 specific
gravity) then that pressure will require the HCl reservoir to be 26 to 31
feet above the reactor.  More if you regulate the flow rate.

If you pressurize the CO2 after the reactor and operate the reactor at
lower pressures (I don't know how you might do that) then you won't have
that problem.

[responding to Ole Larsen]

> Primarily because the as the bottle empties, the pressure of the siphon
> decreases.  But I am not trying to fight death ina hospital.  Also, if I feed
> the generated pressure back to the HCl supply, this will moderate it a bit,
> although not completely. (I hope)

If you feed the pressure back to the HCl reservoir this will be positive
feed back - increased CO2 pressure would increase the pressure on the HCl,
which would increase the HCl drip rate and the CO2 pressure would
increase, which would increase the pressure on the HCl... etc.

If instead you push the CO2 through a small orifice (a needle valve might
do it) between the reactor and the tank then an increase in the CO2 flow
would increase pressure in the CO2 reactor which would create back
pressure on the HCl reservoir, slowing the drip rate.  The HCl drip rate
and CO2 flow rate could be brought to a steady, self-regulating rate
adjustable with the needle valve.  That self-regulated rate would
change as the HCl level in the reservoir dropped.

Dripping acid into a closed reactor will cause the volume in the
reactor to increase steadily.  How would you handle that?

Roger Miller
as always, interested.