Red Algae

Hey everyone--

I've been reading on the red algae, which is apparently what a LFS has
in their tanks.  I noticed a couple days ago that I had some starting in
my tank.  I pulled out the affected plants and tossed them away, which I
hated to do, but keeping them would only cause more plants to die in the
long run.

Is there anything else I can do in the mean time to ensure that I get
rid of it?  Should I get a Siamese Algae Eater and put in my tank?  What
are the water conditions under which red algae proliferates or is that a
factor?  Thanks in advance!  -Karen-