Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #816

Note:  PLEASE correct me where I'm wrong.  My knowledge of hydrolics is
pretty limited, and this is just my simple understanding of the issues.

What they store may be refering to is the static head pressure of the pump.
I have found that a log if aquarium pumps don't have a lot of static head
pressure because they really don't need to lift the water very high.

What you are worried about is the net height you need to lift the water.
The
distance of the run is really not a factor for this application as long as
your
water line is big enough, and there are no radical (>90deg) bends.

I have found that a "drill" pump, or a simple pump you attach to an electric
drill works well for this application.  It costs <$15, and uses standard
garden
hose fittings.

I tried a power head, and it worked OK, but its head was so slight that it
took
forever to get the water into the tank.  I then tried a $30 battery operated
pump, and this also had too small of a head on it.  Then I stumbled on the
drill
pump, and for the price, it works well.

Hope my ramblings help some...