Laterite

Let me start by apologizing if the following questions have been asked
too many times before.  I did search the entire index for laterite but
didn't find the answer I was looking for.
I'm just starting to set up my first (freshwater)fish tank ever and I'd
like to do it as correctly as possible from the outset.  I'm planning on
having a good deal of plants and I just recently heard (read) about
laterite.  Is this something I should consider using from the beginning?
Consider using at all? Mix in with my gravel before I fill the tank?
Again, I'm a total beginner and if this is the wrong place for this kind
of questions, please let me know.  Any help or advice will be much
appreciated.
Johan Henckens
johan at mmdg_org