cutting java fern

I've got some large java ferns that have attached themselves to
driftwood.  The plants are too big and I would like to separate them.  If
I cut the rhizome will it injure the plant.  How do I pull the plant from
the driftwood without destroying it since the roots  have attached so
well.  I can tug pretty hard and the plant doesn't budge.

Thanks,

Jack

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]