Miscellany: Frozen foods/CO2/egg eaters

> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:42:09 -0500
> From: "Darren R. Gold" <dargol at email_msn.com>
> Subject: Re: Frozen foods
>
> Chen wrote:
> >>today as i
> was feeding my fish the frozen white mosquito larvae, i read the label and
> realized that what i was feeding my fish was basically 90% ice and the rest
> was protein and fat.  <<
>
> It has been my experience that some "natural" foods seem to contain traces
> of some compound or other which stimulates very positive results, and the
> foods cannot be judged by the ingredient list alone.  I recall having some
> Hap. morii I was trying to spawn.  I would stuff them to the gills with live
> brine, mixed flake, etc. but nothing.

Those are not conditioning foods. I rarely get any eggs on such food.
The glassworms are fat laden, as are your earthworms. That's a vital
ingredient. Newly-hatched bbs (<6 hrs old) are pretty good, too.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:51:12 -0600
> From: "Beard, Kelly" <KBeard at comdata_com>
> Subject: A Better CO2 reactor
>
> I've got an Eheim diffuser.  It's okay, but a lot of those little bubbles
> make it to the surface, so that's wasted CO2.

Snip...

I keep hearing this (and about surface turbulence, etc.) losing CO2. For
the life of me, I don't understand the logic behind this thinking.

When I inject CO2, I just use fine airstones, and let some of the
bubbles reach the surface. If your tank is properly covered, the heavier
CO2 just accumulates inside the hood and gets dissolved into the water
from there. Surface agitation or motion just *helps*. CO2 is *really*
soluble in water. Very little is lost.

I wouldn't even try to inject CO2 into an open-topped tank, so maybe
that's what I am missing.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:53:18 -0700
> From: sae at arts_ubc.ca (Olga Betts)
> Subject: Egg eaters?
>
> Wright Huntley wrote:
> >Subject: MTS
snip...
> >They are, without doubt, the most efficient fish-egg eaters I have ever
> >seen! They are also very difficult to eliminate without tearing down the
> >entire tank.
>
> Ohhh! I didn't know this. I like MT snails too. I was about to put some in
> my new tank that I want to breed Apistos in. Lucky I haven't done it yet.
> Are you sure they eat fish eggs? Have you seen them?

Yep. Many times. They are predominantly nocturnal, so seeing takes some
effort. Most egg-guarding fish sleep at night. In Apisto tanks, the
spawn never makes it to the second day. [Good Apisto water is way too
soft for the snails, BTW.] The fish don't perceive such slow movers as a
treat, even when awake.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  huntley1 at home dot com

Compassionate Conservative? Is that a kinder, gentler bigot?
                                  WH
Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face.
                                  Thomas Sowell