Re: Acclimating to pH differences

Hello Kelly,

Darren's comments are right on the money!

The slower you change your pH, the less stress is placed on the fish.
Remember -- stressed fish are weaker and succumb to parasites and/or
diseases easier!

The only thing that I would add to his advice is to stress the "net out
the fish" step. You don't want to add the LFS's water (including
parasites and pathogens) to your *quarantine* tank.

NOT using the quarantine tank (at least for 1 week, I keep them there
for 3 weeks!) is asking for trouble -- and sooner or later you will get
it, big time!

Best,

George

> >Say you buy some fish at your LFS.  You bring home the fish in a > >bag > and stick your pH probe in the bag - 7.4.  Your tank's pH - 6.5.  > Ouch.  Don't recall ever seeing this info on thekrib or other > resources.  Anyone got aclue?

> I use a small container into which I put the fish along with their 		>transport water.  I then run a piece of airline tubing from the aquarium to the
container and start a flow.  I then tie a knot in the tubing, loosening
it
until I get a fairly steady stream of drops into the container.  As the
container fills, I scoop out the excess water and dispose of it.
Depending
upon the drip rate, the pH should be equal to that of the aquarium in >
2 or 3 hours.  Then I net the fish out and put them in the tank.