RE: Hybrid substrates

Justin Collins is still worrying over hybrid substrates...

>I guess I'm not totally sure why a hybrid substrate is bad.  While I
>understand that most people get poor results with them, I'm not sure
>what happens that creates such problems.  I could understand it if we
>were talking about a rich soil substrate mixed with laterite or
>something like that, but I fail to see why mixing laterite with
>flourite, clay balls, or other non-rich substrate could create such
>problems.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think in _my_ case, my problems with the hybrid substrate might have
stemmed from the use of so much peat in the mix. I have no proof, but having
that much organic matter so deeply buried no longer seems like such a good
idea to me.

James Purchase
Toronto