Re: Potassium test, the last (hopefully) kitty cast, and the circular white spot.

>From: "Christopher Coleman" <christopher.coleman at worldnet_att.net>
>
>............Your potassium test has arrived! ..........

I think I wrote that statement about the lack of any colored potassium
complex about three years ago.  I did hear mention of the tetraphenylborate
method about two years ago on the APD.  As I recall, the test described was
not very accurate.  It sounds like better tests have been developed.

The test that has the maximume concentration of 7ppm, sounds like the most
accurate.  All you need is a Hatch spectrophometer costing about $4,000!
If you happen to have water that has higher concentrations outside the
range of the test, just dilute it with deionized or distilled water.  The
LaMotte test has a much greater range, but probably much less accuracy.
With this kit, also, it would be best to dilute your sample until you get
values in the 6-8 mg/L range.

As far as the plants are concerned, very likely anything above 1 or two mg
potassium/L would be an adequate concentration as long as it is maintained.

From: Mark Hack <mhack at ibm_net>
>Subject: Re: Re: Kitty castings
>
>Well - so far nobody has mentioned the other disadvantages of the direct
>Kitty castings application method:.............

As far as the colored hairs, perhaps the bleach treatment might help.  At
least the hairs would be white.  As far as the other problems---well, we
took up this hobby because it was challenging.

I think we'd better cool it on the kitty casting thread, or our
ever-so-patient listmom is going to throw us all out and direct us towards
something like alt.scatology.

>From: Tom Petersen <peter334 at tc_umn.edu>

>Dear List,
>I have recently discovered a 'silver-dollar'-sized(2 inch dia), white
>circular spot on the rear of a heavilly planted tank........
>
>Tom Petersen
>peter334 at tc_umn.edu

All aquatic plant hobbyists ought to have a pocket magnifier to look at
things like this circular white spot so they could tell us a bit more about
what they look like.  This spot must be some kind of colonial organism,
probably a filter-feeding one,  but I can't imagine what.  Can you tell us
a little more about it?

Paul Krombholz, in sunny, spring-like central Mississippi