RE: Optimal Aquarium Depth and Fluorescent Lighting

If anyone replied directly to me, their reply went to an incorrect
address.  The correct is associated with this message.  Sorry for the
confusion.  The continuing joys of a involuntary ISP change.

Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:
> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 08:48:23 -0600
> From: "Wilson" <jwilson at knology_net>
> Subject: RE: Optimal Aquarium Depth and Fluorescent Lighting
>
> > From: Bob Hoffman <bhoffman at deltanet_com>
> > 1) What would be the optimal (realistic) depth that would allow for a
> > reasonable diversity of aquatic plants including a Madagascar lace
> > plant?
> > 2) Given that depth, how much lighting would be required?
> > 3) What types/combination of bulbs (fluorescent) would be best?
> >
> > My thoughts are a 28 inch deep tank, with four 75 watt VHO bulbs (70
> > gal. tank) or two 75 watt VHO bulbs (40 gal. tank), bulbs would be all
> > URI AquaSun's.  Any thoughts, comments, and/or suggestions would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Based on my experiences with my 225 gallon (28" deep), it became painfully
> obvious that it takes a LOT of light to reach this depth. On a smaller, deep
> tank, MH is probably the best bet.
>
> I was using 4 72" 160w URI Aquasuns, but they have a strange ability to
> bleach perceived color from everything. A combination of 2 URI and 2
> Durotest Vita-lites "looks right" color wise. The Vita-lites add a much more
> "green" look to the tank. They are on separate Icecaps, it is pretty odd to
> flip back and forth comparing the light. (too white or too green:-)

I know Vita-lites come in a 48" 110watt VHO bulb but are there a similar
24" VHO bulbs?  If so, a source for them would be appreciated.  If not,
it would seem I am pretty much stuck with Aquasuns.  I really don't want
to go with MH.  Any other suggestions?

> 28" depth is also a major pain to work in unless you plan on a 6" substrate,
> or have really long arms.:-)

I have a 90 gal. reef tank that is 25 1/2" in depth, so I am used to the
wet armpit syndrome.  However, I was planning on a minimum 4-5"
substrate and, therefore, the situation should not be much different
than what I deal with at the present.

Bob