Day vs. night length

>When I studied botany at university (many moons ago) we were taught that
>there are "short-day" and "long-day" plants.  Since that time this has all
>been overturned.  Quite recently, there was an article in the newspaper
>saying that there was no such thing, and that in fact it was the duration of
>the night period only that determines whether a particular plant will flower
>or not.  Apparently that is that.

I understand the nuances of what you are saying, but I think that for most
of us, when we think of "short day", we are assuming a long night.  Maybe
right near the poles you have long twilight periods where it is neither
"night" nor "day" but for most of us who live in temperate or tropical
areas there is only a brief period of twilight.  It _is_ either night or day.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association