Re: Hornwort & anacharis don't grow

> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:48:37 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jay Dike <jjdike at yahoo_com>
>
> This is sort of an abbreviated post of one I made Jan. 11 about plant
> growth.  I'm wondering specifically if there is something hornwort and
> anacharis especially don't like - because they don't seem to grow at
> all in my tank.  Other plants seem to doing ok.  Water and tank info
> are in the Jan. 11 post so I won't repeat here.

Hornwort grows really well in hard water - it's a good choice for rift
lake cichlid tanks.  It will even grow faster than the mbuna can eat it.

I think anacharis (elodea) also likes water on the hard, alkaline side.
Also, the plants often sold under this name are a temperate climate species
and prefer cooler temperatures.