Re: Amazon Sword propagation, Plant in a bag

>From: Geoff White <gwhite at asmfc_org>

.......    Last week I purchased a potted amazon sword, which
>included a long stalk (8-10") with three groups of nodules along its
>length.  Now I have new leaves (1-1.5") growing out of those nodules, which
>is good <g>, but I don't know how to handle the daughter plants to separate
>and re-plant them.
>
>At what stage/size/time should the stalk be cut off and planted, and should
>the three nodules be separated, or left to grow along the continuous stalk?

These little plantlets grow from the nodes of the flower stalk.  You should
also get some flowers from these nodes.  Let them stay attached as long as
they are firmly attached.  They should continue to grow more small leaves
and some roots, as well.  When they all have roots, as well as leaves, and
when they don't seem to be growing much more, then you can break them off
(They should be getting loose, by then) and plant them.

>From: Joe Anderson <janderso at metrotech_org>

>Paul,
>Could you tell us a little about the growth of the plant while in the bag.
>Perhaps we could all benefit from keeping our plants bagged!
>Just think of all the space it would save:-)

It didn't really grow in the bag; it just took a long time to show the
symptoms of neglect (almost no light, no fertilizer, and probably very
little CO2.  There are other species of aquarium plants that can die in the
bag in less than a week, so this just shows how tough Anubias barteri is.
it is the plastic plant that grows!

I tend to mistreat my plants because I have a collector's mania, and I
always seem to have more species than I have time to properly care for.
So, I tend to keep a lot of them under poor conditions, checking now and
then to see if they are still alive.

Paul Krombholz, in mild central Mississippi, where the spring peepers are
optimistically tuning up.