Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #787

>Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:36:37 -0800
>From: "Bev" <bevgreen at cygnus_uwa.edu.au>
>Subject: half filling a new tank?
>
>When one sets up a new tank the aim is to have a large plant to water ratio
>this enabling the plants to use up nutrients and hence outcompete the
>algae.
>Since few if any plants are purchased at the full height as the water colum
>what about only say half filling the aquarium. This would enable the plants
>to use up the relatively fewer nutrients.

I don't think this would make much of a difference. You can have the same
effect by using less fertilizer. If you are worried about stuff leaching
out of a soil substrate, this still won't make much of a difference - the
leachings are just more concentrated. A new tank is pretty unstable. You
might as well just add all the water so your filters can run properly.

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  Back on-line! New URL! Slightly new look! Same good data!
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/