Re: Anubias and Loach questions

Bob Dixon wrote:

> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:46:51 EST
> From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
> Subject: Anubias and Loach questions
>
> I have gleaned something about the rhizome being above the substrate.  How
> far, and how do you hold it in place until it fixes its roots in the
> substrate?

Anubias looks best when planted on driftwood or rocks. Just tie the
rhizome onto your driftwood/rock with a piece of string. Even if you tie
the rhizome way up the driftwood, the roots will find its way to the
gravel. Some will glue itself to the driftwood/rock. This normally takes
about a week or two. Then you can cut-off the string, if it bothers you,
or you leave it to rot.

> At the lfs today I spotted some 2 inch, black and white zebra-striped loaches
> labeled "Wu Fong-(algae eater)-$8.99.  They looked like yo-yos, but brighter
> white and darker black.  Anyone know if they truly eat algae?  what varieties?
> do they also munch the greens?

I have never seen them munching away greens and algae. BTW, they are
excellent snail-buster.

rgds.