Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #778

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Bob Dixon wrote:

> > that is an awfully high ph for rain water, here in the states it is
> >  6.2-6.4!  try using peat filtration.  TFH September '98 had a good
> >  article on it.
>
> It should be 7.0, because it is a s close to pure as water gets in nature.  So
> pollution is hurting your water supply.

Actually, unpolluted rainwater has a pH < 7.0 (usually around 6.4 or so if
I remember right) because of the atmospheric CO2 dissolved in it.  Some
variation above and below that pH are normal and probably are caused
mostly by mineral content picked up from normal stuff in the air.  Acid
polluted rain has a pH < 6 (I think the "official" cutoff is something
like 5.8), and sometimes < 5.

Roger Miller

In Albuquerque, where rainwater isn't much of an option, but solar stills
are a viable alternative.