re: For Dupla folks - Duplaplant tablet question

Kelly Beard wrote:

> I use RO or DI water for water changes.  My usual
> formula is to take the water which is stored in 5 gallon
> jugs, and add the following - 1/4tsp baking soda,  1/2
> tsp RO Right (which I might bump down to 1/4tsp) and 1
> Duplaplant tablet, crushed in a motar/pestle.

> Last week I decided to use my iron test kit (LaMotte).  I
> got a small shock when it read .5ppm iron.  I wondered
> how this could happen because a previous measurement
> put me right at .1ppm.  I thought I was using too much
> Duplaplant drops (4-6 drops daily), but I had a hunch first.

> I mixed up a 5 gallon jug of DI water, crushed up a tablet
> and mixed and let the water sit for a while.  I tested the iron
> last night - something like .6ppm iron.  Now, I bought the
> 50 count tube of tablets from Pet's Warehouse.  It says it
> treats 250 gallons.  250 gallons / 50 tablets = 5 gallons per
> tablet. So, if the magic number is .1ppm iron, then what's the
> deal?  Maybe the testkit?

Your experience with dosed concentration of Duplaplant is the same
one which I posted recently. (original message below) The LaMotte
results you site are very similar to results I obtained from a sample tested
using an inductively coupled plasma emission spectrometer. (0.6 mg/L)
as against (0.66 mg/L)  My prior observations using LaMotte also always
showed high iron values in the Duplaplant and to this day I only have
questions,  not answers.  Wouldn't it be nice if a Dupla rep could set
the record straight?

Christopher