DIY Yeast "filter"

Hi all,
      I know this has been rehashed time and time again, but I'm still a
little unclear on the details of the "filter" for DIY yeast method. I
understand that you can filter the water + yeast through a 2nd bottle via
bubbling it through the water(so input hose below water line and output
hose above). Does the yeast actually filter into the water and stay there
so the air leaving the solution is clean? So if this is true than it would
be the same principle as *ehem* a water pipe or something of that nature. I
just finished cycling my 40 gal and am almost ready to add plants and I
don't want a yeast outbreak like my 10 gal tank had. Thanks for any help.
Ryan