Re: Hybrid substrates?

>Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:11:52 -0800
>From: Mortimer Snerd <n9720235 at cc_wwu.edu>
>Subject: Hybrid substrates?
>
>At the risk of setting off substrate wars round XXXXXVI, I'll ask this
question.  I'm assembling the stuff to set up my new 100 gallon, which will
have CO2 injection, substrate heating cables, 280w of VHO (to be upgraded to
350w of suspended halides within a year, most
>likely), and a well sealed sump (I'm going to experiment with having very
little biological filtration.  If it doesn't work out I'll use a small
wet/dry).  My question is about the substrate.  Now this may be the worst
idea anyone has ever had, but I have 1000 grams of
>Duplarit G I plan to use in the bottom 1/3, as per instructions, and I am
wondering if any benefit can be gained by mixing in a small amount of peat
and/or worm castings.  Not nearly enough to qualify it as a soil substrate,
but enough to add more nutrient value and CEC that
>the plants can access.  Any thoughts?
>
>The second substrate question I have is that in my 60 gallon I am using a
50/50 mix of Seachem's Flourite and gravel.  I am wondering if there would
be any problems with my reusing this, mixed with the laterite, as the bottom
layer of the new substrate.  I don't want to have
>to go out and buy entirely new gravel, but I'm willing to if this would be
a bad idea.

>Thanks,
>
>Justin Collins

Hi Justin,

I have A 55 set up simular to what you describe. A little  Laterite, with
flourite and gravel from a previous setup. To it was added some peat and a
small amount of topsoil in the bottom layer. The plants are doing great.
 Neil the fish are too.  8=} ) It has 220 watts of VHO and CO2 injection.
You are welcome to drive up and take a look. If so I'll send you my phone #
so you can get directions and set up a time when I'm Home.

Best Wishes,
Ray