Re: DAI tabs and Green Water

Karen Randall wrote:

> The one tank I have with a loose soil
> substrate has been the bane of my existence.

I have a five gallon tank in my room with about one inch of soil mixed
with coarse gravel under two inches of fine gravel.  I admit, I do have
a bit of algae in my tank, but I think it is mostly due to excessive
light (sunlight from south facing window is only light source).  THe
plants have grown thick at the back (which is where the algae is
present).  I fertilize with a few drops of Fluorite every day and I use
NaHPO4 to lower the pH in my tap water (from pH over 8.2).
  The plants that grow the most are the water sprite planted across the
back of the tank, but other plants that grow well are a sword (melon?)
Apons. and Clorella (sp?).  Java fern also does well.

 According to what I've read on this list, this tank should be covered
with algae!  I must be lucky I guess.

Jason Miller
Sherwood Park, Alberta
(403) 464-9635